Wednesday, September 6, 2023

Introduction Letter Draft 1

Dear Professor Blackstone,


My name is Ting Diew Han, and I am one of the students in your S17 seminar group for the Critical Thinking and Communication (UCS) module. I am writing this letter to introduce myself to you. I am a year 1 student pursuing a Bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). I served two years of national service after I finished my diploma. I studied aerospace engineering with business management for my diploma at Ngee Ann Polytechnic. I have switched my specialization because I believe that mechanical engineering offers diverse opportunities that will benefit me more than aerospace in the future. It might be difficult for me to catch up on those modules that are purely mechanical, but I am willing to work hard to achieve great results. I look forward to gaining more knowledge from the various modules to apply it diligently in my future job. 

My hobby is playing badminton, and I usually meet my friends to play at the sports hall near our house. In my free time, I will work a part-time job as a service crew, and I enjoy it very much. I have worked in food and beverage (F&B) since I was 16 and have almost 7 years of experience in the industry. Other than having extra income for my allowance, I am able to learn things that I couldn’t in school, such as how to communicate well with customers and solve problems if there are any.

I served as a commander during my National Service (NS) and held the role of Section Commander at the Basic Military Training Center. I had to conduct lessons for the recruits and communicate effectively with them, ensuring that they were able to adapt to the changes from civilian to military life. I have improved my public speaking and confidence level through NS. I am looking forward to brushing up my communication skills through this UCS module and being able to present greatly in front of everyone.


Yours sincerely,

Ting Diew Han


Edited on 20 November 2023

2 comments:

  1. This is a very informative letter, Diew Han. I especially appreciate learning about your work experience and your being keen to study engineering. I also am impressed by how you describe your NS role.

    This is generally a fluenct letter, but there are some verb issues:
    -- I was a commander during my National Service (NS) and hold the role of Section Commander at the Basic Military Training Center. > (veb tense consistency) ?
    --I have to conduct lessons for the recruits and communicate well with them, ensuring that they are able to adapt to the changes from civilian to military. > (veb tense consistency) ?
    -- I am looking forward to brush up my communication skills through this UCS module and able to present greatly in front of everyone. > (verb forms/parallel structure)
    I am looking forward to brushing up my communication skills through this UCS module and being able to present greatly in front of everyone.

    I look forward to learning more about you this term.

    Best wishes,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will improve on the verb issues for my letter, thanks for the advice Prof!

    ReplyDelete

Critical Reflection

Critical Thinking and Communication is an amazing module. Reflecting on the past 13 weeks, it has been a great journey as I have learned a l...